Volunteer opportunities are available at UPMC Hamot through the UPMC Hamot Aid Society.
Founded in 1906, the UPMC Hamot Aid Society currently has 214 members. The Society's mission is to support the needs of UPMC Hamot, its patients and guests through volunteer service, education, and fundraising. The organization contributes more than 12,000 volunteer hours a year to UPMC Hamot.
Areas of Service
Volunteers serve in various areas of hospital operations including, but not limited to:
- Gift Shop
- Information Desk
- Medical Library
- Family Waiting Room
- Surgery Center
There are three types of membership levels:
- Active Members: Serve a minimum of 8 hours of service per month. Annual dues of $12.
- Associate Members: Must have served in active category at least 1 year. Trained associates are welcome to work in any of the recognized services but service hours are not required. Annual dues of $25.
- Friends of UPMC Hamot Aid Society: No prior or current service hour requirements. Annual dues of $30.
Volunteers Benefit the Hospital and Community
In addition to volunteer areas in the various areas of the hospital, the UPMC Hamot Aid Society benefits the hospital through:
Medical Education Assistance Fund:
- Granting loans to students for graduate or undergraduate course work relevant to the medical field since 1959. The loan, a maximum of $4,000 per student, is given for tuition only and is paid directly to the school. The loan is interest free and is repaid within 26 months of graduation.
Community Health Education:
- Programs provide opportunities for the community to obtain valuable health care information from area and national experts.
- Proceeds from fundraising projects are used to purchase modern medical equipment and to fund programs and activities conducted throughout the Hamot Health Foundation. Fundraising includes Gift Shop sales, vendor sales, and the baby pictures program in the UPMC Hamot Women's Hospital.
If you are interested in volunteering at UPMC Hamot, please fill out and submit the online volunteer application.